Thursday, February 06, 2003

New Fan + New Video Card

i just installed my new fan.. and dang! some of the weird noises that my computer was making is gone. I guess the noises were from the old fan - i have a feeling the bearings on that old fan died.. and so there was too much friction for the fan to spin. Hence it put a lot of load on the motherboard trying to power it up to spin.. this could have caused problems.

The new fan is really cool because it doesn't use the motherboard for power - it uses a connection directly from the power supply.. and it has double bearings for longer lasting life. I won an auction on ebay for a Visiontek GeForce3 Ti500 64MB for $100 bucks.. not bad considering these ti500's still go for 200+ online. Now i can return the card i bought at Best Buy for 180 bucks. I think i could have gotten a lower card such as the GeForce2 GTS cards.. but i got a little greedy.. doh!

The new fan is pretty quiet.. "double bearings".. yeah..~ It took a while to install it because the screws on the back of the computer weren't coming off as easily as i thought.
I also took some time to clean all the dust ouf of the computer.. i wish i had a vaccum cleaner right now cuz it's SO dusty in there.

I took off the fan on the CPU and cleaned that out - and also had a bitchy time cleaning the heatsinks on the CPU..

No comments:

Post a Comment