Monday, August 30, 2010

Picasa Review


This won't be an extended review of the product because it can get very long.  Simply put, download this product.

http://picasa.google.com/

It's freaking amazing!  I downloaded Gallery 3D for my Droid X and it links (syncs) directly with my Picasa Webalbum.  Google already gives you 1 gig or storage space, and i have only used up 7% of it after uploading the majority of pictures i have on my computer since 2000. 

The Picasa program also has a face recognition ability where it scans all your photos and shows cropped portraits of people you can tag and name.  That was pretty scary - but it groups up the same people together.  It's like a  program from one of those CSI TV shows.

The best thing about the online album is being able to change the settings to private or public.  Instead of having to burn DVD's of your memorable pictures every-so-often, by putting it on Picasa, you can relax. 

This product just outshines Facebook by a mile.  The Picasa software which integrates with the Picasa webalbum allows for very easy photo uploads.

The only flaw i have witnessed so far, is the folder hierarchy.  You can add as many folders as you want, but can't make folders within folders.  I generally like to organize my photos by Year and Month. I.e.:

2001:
- Jan
- Feb (etc.)

But in Picasa, you can't do that, so it sucks.  I ended up having to upload all my pics from 2001, into 2001 - merging all the pictures from different events together.

Overall this thing is 9/10.  Even if you don't have a smartphone to take the experience to the next level, just being able to back up all your photos online very easily is well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment