Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Experience with World of Warcraft

Not sure how many of you play WoW, so this may not be interesting.

WoW, has undoubtedly  become the most successful MMORPG game in the world with millions of active subscribers paying $15/month to play in a virtual world.  I was first introduced to WoW by a friend while i was over his house.  I created a Gnome Rogue, and achieved lvl 10 in a matter of hours.   Doing little quests and seeing yourself become more powerful was fun.

I ended up buying my own copy, and asked a few friends what class i should be.  I was thinking about being a Hunter since the idea of taming cool little beasts was intriguing.  However, the guild i was in didn't need anymore Hunters, and they said Paladins were a good class.  I rolled a Human Paladin, but was not having much fun because i was continuously dying.  My lack of knowledge of game mechanics was the main source.

"Hey, why is this mob's level a skull?  Oooh.. i'm dead"



I stopped playing the Paladin, and moved on to a Warrior, but didn't like them either. Partly due to dying multiple times in front of Deadmines because i didn't know what being "Flagged for PVP" meant.  I just attacked everything that was attack-able.. and got destroyed.

I moved on to a Night Elf Rogue.  I was questing in Red Ridge Mountains and got slaughtered by a Horde Druid in cat form.  I didn't even know what that was at the time.  I ressed.. and went into stealth thinking, he wouldn't be able to find me.  To my surprise, higher level players, can see lower stealth players from a mile away.. LOL?

Around the same time, i found a PVP video of a NE Hunter name Dinan.



It was then i decided i wanted to be a Hunter.  A NE Hunter was my first level 60 character.  Along the way friends taught me about itemization and stats beneficial to your class.  My pet was a cool looking saber tiger.. cuz you know.. tigers are the best looking pets in the game.  I also had a boar that used for PVP.  I didn't raid much, the only content i really got to see was LBRS and UBRS.  MC, Onyxia, etc. were probably out of my skill level.

One day, a friend of mine was leveling in Red Ridge and was getting ganked by 2 UD Rogues.  I told him i'd help him because.. i have flare!  I went over, only to be demolished in stunlocks.  They would kill me, and then eat my corpse!  OMG - that was the coolest thing i've ever seen up to that point.  They looked scary and had an evil laugh.  Taunting me while standing over my body.  I ended up doing some research on the Rogue class and ended up finding another PVP video that would shake my heart.

Grim - Path of Blood

One of my all time favorite PVP videos.  The music selection was perfect, and the cut scenes was awesome.  Hunter was fun, but being able to sneak around in stealth and getting massive crits with ambush and backstab seemed like a better fit for me.  Around this same time, our guild decided to transfer from Lethon to Anub'arak because they wanted to go Horde side.  Everybody was going to reroll, so it was a good opportunity for me to try out the Rogue class.

Learning an entirely new set of mechanics was brutal.  *not enough energy*.. rawr!  But leveling was easier.  It wasn't long until TBC came out.  I hit lvl 60, then lvl 70 - and was running TK 5 mans for sum nice loot.  I also was one of the very first Rogues that was able to abuse the instance chest system.  This scheme was used to buy myself an epic flyer, but it was fixed after too many people started doing it.



I was slowly becoming better at my class and i was taking PVP more seriously.  I can honestly say i still sucked - but i wasn't horrible.  Here is a duel i had against a guildie:



Soon, my guild wasn't doing anything worthwhile, and friends that i was hanging out with online stopped playing the game.  I decided to put other things on priority and sold my account.  Here are some pics I put up on craigslist.




Probably the dummest thing i ever did in WoW was deleting my characters whenever i rerolled.  I could have had a lot more lvl 20 alts than in the pics above.  Sold my account for about $900 and i went into a hiatus.

I had quit the game for about 6 months when an old friend told me she reactivated her account and wanted to see if i wanted to lvl with her.  She had an extra account laying around and let me use it.  I wasn't planning on playing WoW again, but "right when you think you are out, they pull you back in".  I rolled another Undead Rogue on Mug'thol server.  Going from lvl 1-70 was a serious grind - but fun nevertheless because it was with friends.

I was level 70 again, in a PVP guild.  I was casually doing arena, but didn't do well - partly because my partners weren't very good.  I wasn't really into raiding, so the only real content i saw was Karazhan and Zulaman.  PVP in particular was bad for me because i was getting a high ping 250ms.  While contemplating about server transferring - the friend that got me back into the game had quit once again.

Not long after that, another friend wanted to get back into WoW, so i did research on the best server with the lowest ping around my area.  That server ended up being Destromath which is my current home.  I'll discuss my current characters, in the next article.

No comments:

Post a Comment