Thursday, September 30, 2004

New GPU Fan installed

Yesterday, i went to work and afterward went to eat dinner with my boss. He bought a grip of korean bbq and we drank about 5-6 bottles of soju between 3 ppl. Good times, we talked a lot and got stuff out of our chests. We got there at 6:00pm and stayed until 10pm.. HAHA

I came home and went straight to sleep.

I woke up at 6am.. dunno how that happened cuz i was a bit buzzed.. but woke up and watched Smallville that i downloaded since i missed it while eating dinner the previous nite.

At 7am i went to school and met traffic on the 405 cuz there was an accident. Then i came upon this sign "CLASS CANCELLED".. doh! now i had 1.4 hour gap and came to school early for nothing.

After school i went to Fedex to pick up my new Blueorb fan.. DAMN.. opened it and measured it next to the card and there was a problem. Obviously.. nothing in my llife solves easily.

1. The fan was excessively big
2. The fan was designed really well.
3. My old heatsinks for the ram were in the way of the new HUGE fan.
4. I had artic silver adhesive on the ram headsinks so i really had to be careful when taking them out

I didn't want to damage this vid card.. cuz that would simply suck so i had to be very careful:

1. Had to turn on the computer with the old vid card fan to heat up the fan because it was stuck to the GPU
2, Took out fan from GPU
3. Carefully took out the old ram headsinks with a knife and damaged one of the pins.. but doesn't seem like a big deal
4. Installed new fan with no problem.. the alignment was great. The new fan is HUGE.. and it has blue LED.. it's tite!
5. Installed the 4 smaller ram headsinks with adhesive tape instead of artic silver.

Put the computer back together and crossed my fingers b4 turning it on. Obviously as you read me typing this.. the computer runs. And it's quiet now.. and with all the lights off.. u can see a blue glow from inside the computer. mUHA.

I'm happy now.. the noise from the old vid card GPU fan was getting me REALLY annoyed and was really thinking about just getting a new computer.. but i think i can live with this one for a lil longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment