Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Trip to Korea: Day 5

April 20 Wed.

Woke up, and walked down the street to a bakery and got some garlic toast. Came back home and had to wait for my parents to come back home so we could go to a restaurant in Seoul. We were invited by a nice couple whom are close to my parents. We went to a restaurant called Muscus (muscus.co.kr) which is a seafood buffet. Old ppl really like buffets. And i think they think younger ppl like it too. Unfortunately, I don't like buffets that much, specially when you go with old ppl. They keep looking at your plate and how much you eat. If they think u aren't eating enough, they will comment on it. Sort of like, "eat enough so we get our moneys worth". So i hate it.

Overlooking that fact, the atmosphere is nice, but the food was so so. I'd give it about 7/10.

Next was a trip to Dong De Mun. From Jang Ang Dong, it's a 20 minute cab ride during traffic. Cab fare comes out to $6.50. The first thing you notice when you arrive is the huge temple-like building that invites visitors. Within the first 15 minutes i realized i wasn't the only tourist there. Americans, Germans, and other Korean-Americans just like me where roaming around. You can tell which ones are tourists from the cameras strapped around their necks (including myself). I also saw the first black guy since i've been here.







An amusing incident happened while i was there. While walking around, i found someone selling gas masks! Yes gas masks. I thought it was hilarious so i busted out my camera to take a picture. Suddenly i hear an old guy yelling at me telling me not to take the pic, and he started to chase me with a stick. Oh gosh.. i ran for dear life. For the next 3 hours i was there, it was difficult to just take pictures of the crowd.

The funny thing about Korean street vendors is that they make up their own prices. Nothing has price tags. Sometimes you wonder to yourself, "am i getting ripped off?" The most popular of these street vendors are the large piles of clothes laying on the street with a man yelling "Every item just $3". People start flocking in like pigeons and just ravage through the piles of clothes. It's $3 for a reason. Feels cheap, looks cheap. And it's hard to find the right size.





There were tons of street food vendors. All of them sold the same thing though. Dumplings, spicy rice cakes, fried tempura, hot dogs. I ate it all. The dumplings were good, and the fried hot dogs (YES FRIED!) were good too. But the spicy rice cakes or Duk Bok Gi, wasn't mediocre.



Towards the end of my trip in Dong Dae Mun, i witnessed a collision between a motorcycle and a taxi. They were both not hurt, but they were fighting. Two cops came and stopped them. I was only able to record the ending when the motorcyclist leaves.

I also bought a tripod for $10. I may make good use of it before i leave. To close out the day, a bunch of us went to eat beer with fried chicken. It was all good, until they told me i had to try this awesome stew. I ate it.. then found out what i ate was silkworms.. WTF. WTF.. WTF!!!



I still need to meet someone famous before i leave. Tomorrow i will hit up Ap Gu Jung Do.

No comments:

Post a Comment