Friday, October 22, 2004

$1,700 for new computer

I'm at work.. it's about 10am. Not super late.. not early either. I have been doing SO much research on computers, that i became the next gen gosu. I pretty much understand all the terminologies now. Why can't there be a computer hardware class? lol.. i'd ace the finals.

Most of my research was on compatibility.. and cases, HSF, and CPU chipsets. I was going to order most of it on monarchcomputer - but decided to go with Newegg because they have been regarded so highly by consumers. I'd rather pay the state tax and have confidence that my parts wont' be RMA.

I ordered it all.. saved a few bucks here and there by changing my specs and taking out things i don't need. Originally with Koolance liquid cooling it was going to be around $2,400.. then with just a regular case it was $2,000.. then i took out some parts that were unnecessary - and downgraded a few things to make it $1500. With tax and shipping it was totaled at $1700.

Ouch.. i got a call from VISA fraud protection this morning asking me if it was me who made the purchases! haha.. good stuff - at least i know they are working hard to make sure i'm not jipped. When i look at that number.. $1700.. it hurts! last time i spent over 1g was for school tuition and books. The only good thing is that i charged it to my new VISA card with 0% APR for 8 months.

I remember 3 years ago, when i bought my current system, it was less than $1000. But that's because i really didn't buy expensive parts.. and less components. I didn't require a second hard drive, nor did i need aftermarket cooling. With the new computer chips running hot that has all changed. I dont' consider this an investment because computer parts lower in value as time goes.. so i like to call it a impulse purchase that will last me for the next 3-4 years.

I will post pictures and total system spec once i get it installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment