Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Check Engine Light..

I got my first CEL code on my GS430 this morning.  I hate that yellow engine light that comes on your dash.. it's bright and annoying.  I remembered that Auto Zone offered free CEL diagnostics - so i went there today only to find out they stopped doing that 2 years ago due to legal issues.

So i called AMMCO to see how much they would charge.. and the guy says $40.  I told him to shove it up his butthole since the scanner costs $50.   I ended up buying it.. and have carefully unwrapped it so i could return it at a later date.

I remembered on my Prelude that around the same mileage a CEL came on for the O2 sensors.. lone behold, CEL P0135 came on for the GS430 - which is for bad O2 sensor.  I gotta take my car in to get this fixed.. i figure it'll run around $200 for parts and labor.  What a bitch!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:36 AM

    I thought Autozone loaned OBDII scanners for free... and unless the O2 sensor is in some ridiculously hard to reach space, it should be just a 45 minute job on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autozone did loan.. until 2 years ago. They don't anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you have advanced autoparts in your area?! they have free CEL checkers, plus they print out a piece of paper for you so you can take it home and research the code yourself.

    I don't own a high class car like you so i wouldn't know about changing the O2 sensor for your car, but I know on my Honda, just buy the part for like $40~&70 bucks, unplug the battery, install part, then rehook battery and reset the ECU and car and you're good to go...better than spending $200 bucks for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:12 PM

    So how much did you have to pay at the end?
    Is it a california Emission O2 Sensor? because on a camry it's like 300 bucks for 1...and if you have 2 it's 600 bucks just for the parts. If it's non-californian..it's much cheaper..but it's still ike 400 bucks for 2 in NY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i went to o2sensor.com and bought it for $70.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://oxygensensors.com

    ReplyDelete