Thursday, June 10, 2010

California Traffic Cameras Need to Go!

Red light cameras in CA need to go.  Today i was driving at 2:30am approaching an intersection with absolutely 0 cars in all 4 directions.  Visibility was clear and i made a rolling stop at the red light to make a right turn.  I was going a little too fast to stop when the first picture was taken.

I'm pretty sure i'll get a ticket in the mail, and i plan on fighting it since i have nothing else better to do.  However, the fact that it was in the middle of night with absolutely no cars in the vicinity - it's justifiably an unfair citation.  I'll just have to wait and see how much the fine will be.  I've already read through Highwayrobbery.net and have a general idea on how i'm going to defend.

If i made this infraction in day time with lots of cars around, i wouldn't mind paying the fine and going to traffic school.. but under my circumstances i'm a little ticked off.

There are talks about installing Radar censored traffic cams in CA.. do you know what that means?  For you, it means driving even 5mph over the speed limit will give the State the right to issue a ticket with no officer present.  For the State, it means over 1 billions dollars in revenue.

CA is in debt, and guess how these politicians want to even the State budget.  sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:53 AM

    That's actually a great idea! Finally, a decent way to enforce safety laws and generate tons of revenue for CA! I fully support you!

    Speed is a psychological victory, at most you'll get to work 10 seconds faster.. ok fine 5 minutes, but why!?

    You're actually saving $$$ and getting better gas mileage at the designated speed limit. I'd rather take a subway or rail, if there was one.. becuz traffic sux! and it's only bound to get worse in the next few years...

    Speed was a legacy of the past... if you want to speed TAKE A ROADTRIP TO MONTANA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:22 AM

    I'd keep optimistic, I don't think you'll get a ticket for a right turn. I've had the camera flash while turning right, and no ticket ever arrived...

    I still disagree - no matter how scary those cameras are, the threat of $300 ticket is a great deterrant. LA desperately needs the cameras for the other ten million stupid morons who run 3 seconds worth of red light, who come close to killing us atleast once every year...

    That's why I have no problem with those speedcams.. If I wanted to speed I'd take a roadtrip to Montana!

    ReplyDelete