Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Drama Review: Athena Goddess of War



Athena is a Korean drama spinoff after the successful hit "Iris". The storyline takes place a few years after Iris. A few characters from Iris return, but most of the main characters are new. Iris 2 is supposedly scheduled to start shooting after Athena is finished. Iris 2 will also bring back all of the original cast back.

The synopsis of the story is about a secret society named Athena that is trying to control world energy with a newly invented technology. The scientist that developed the tech, is being secured by NTS (National Anti Terror Service) - and there are different groups trying to snatch him away.

I've watched up to episode 10.. and it seems like the series will lead up to episode 16. From the looks of the cast, cars, explosions, scenery, etc.. they went all out on production. I imagine it cost a few million just for the first episode.

If i had to pick, Iris was better - but Athena is very well worth watching.

The cast is awesome. The female leads are:


Lee Ji Ah

and


Soo Ae

Soo Ae comes out as the stronger female role and as Jung Woo Sung's love interest. I was hoping Lee Ji Ah would get that role, but it doesn't make a big different. Both actresses do an excellent job.

Lastly, the OST for this drama resembles it's predecessor. For Iris, they had a hit with Baek Ji Young's "Dont Forget". Athena has Tae Yeon from SNSD singing "I Love You":

2 comments:

  1. Good to see the website is still up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. This is A.K.I.A. Talking…
    Thanks for the great review of Athena: Goddess of War! I enjoyed it a lot.
    I added it to my collection of reviews for the show. The show has now an average score of 66.7%.
    Here is a link to the page if you would like to give it a look:
    http://www.akiatalking.com/2014/12/athena-goddess-of-war-2010-db.html
    Thanks again for the review. If you want to do something with my blog, please contact me.

    ReplyDelete