Monday, December 12, 2011

Virus!!!

So I was reading a manga called Vagabond, and the site I was browsing most likely had an ad with a virus because that was the only thing i was doing at the time. The virus i got was a malware called Vista Antivirus 2012. It's a nasty virus that pops up windows that looks like a legit Windows warning telling you about files that are infected. Once it's running, it won't allow you to open any browsers or open any executable files. This causes a problem because:

1. You can't go online to check for solutions
2. You can't install any programs to remove it

I ended up looking up solutions via my smart phone - then closing the malware file from the Task Manager just long enough to download Malwarebytes. Even when you close the virus, it will open itself again.

After cleaning up the system, I ended up with a few more problems caused by AVG and another virus I could not delete. AVG screwed up my Windows Firewall and wouldn't let me run any Microsoft security center programs. Also another virus that attacked my svdc file started opening random tabs on my Firefox occasionally.

In the end, i made the hard decision to just format my C drive and be done with Windows Vista. I installed a clean version of Windows 7 and now use Chrome as my main browser. I honestly couldn't be happier with what transpired from all this.

Windows 7 is amazing and super fast. It could be because it's a fresh install, but i've loving how it runs. Also Chrome is pretty stable and secure.

Goodbye Vista and Firefox!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:44 PM

    wow, i can't believe you were running vista all that time. you should have upgraded to win7 already. win7 by far is the best and fastest windows yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeap. facepalm!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:56 AM

    if you encounter it again,
    use rkill.exe first then run malware. should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:13 AM

    firefox + adblock + no script and you'll never have this problem again :x

    ReplyDelete